In the Age of AI







 For class, we had to watch a video on Artificial intelligence. Of course I have heard about artificial intelligence, but I have not really done much research on it myself. I never really understood the idea of how artificial intelligence would work. But the video started out explaining how artificial intelligence really works through the coding of deep learning. Deep learning is where the computer is given a specific goal and is given many experiences and trials of how it can complete that goal, in the end making it to that goal in ways a human could not even think of. Overall, there are some positives when it comes to artificial intelligence. Artificial intelligence in the realms of medicine is going to be a huge help in the future. Not only will it make it easier for the doctor to process information and data, it can start by helping in early detection when it comes to cancers. In terms of national security with the use of artificial intelligence, I believe there are pros and cons. Of course, in the right hands, we can use artificial intelligence to make everything safer without crossing the total boundaries of becoming a surveillance state. But China, for example, wants to become a total surveillance state. China has put heavy security in an area called Xinjiang. It has been rumored the Chinese officials have built prison camps around and near Xinjiang. They are supposedly able to arrest people due to AI intelligence predicting terrorist threats from people. I do not believe we will start using AI as China has. But I am worried that other countries may follow in China's footsteps. In terms of privacy online, it does not really bother me. Personally, I do not like online shopping. I try to use the internet as little as possible besides reading news and at times watching netflix, or doing homework. So what companies know about my buying habits really doesn’t bother me. What scares me the most about artificial intelligence is how it will cause labor force disruption. Furthermore, I was shocked to learn that white collar jobs are in more threat to getting their jobs taken than blue collar jobs. From the video, I learned 50% of jobs will be threatened by artificial intelligence. That the use of AI will only make the separation between the rich and poor even larger, that it will get rid of the middle class. These are the things I like and disliked learning about artificial intelligence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Relationship with Technology

BLOG POST 4

BLOG POST #2