Our Relationship with Technology

    This week, my weekly screen time on my cell phone is down 43%. With a daily average of 2 hours and 51 minutes. To be honest I am disappointed that my daily average is that high. And that’s 43% down? Incredible… I am always trying to make sure my phone screen time gets lower and lower every week. It is tough to do that though since my job incorporates me being on my phone making calls. But I want the best of both worlds. I want to be free of technology while still being able to get anything I want at the touch of my fingers. I know, that doesn’t really make sense now does it? I do appreciate everything technology has given me. Access to any information I want. Updates on current events in an instant. Knowing where a gas station is whenever I need gas, I am truly thankful. But I am always wary on technology having a negative effect on my life. I want to appreciate the life I have in front of me instead of wasting my days away on my cell phone or laptop. 


    Even though I am always hard on myself for my use of technology, I would say majority of it isn’t a waste. Majority of my time spent on the internet or on social media is either work related, current events related, or gathering information. Of course I do catch myself watching stupid videos on instagram at times. When I am working or doing homework, technology is just making myself better and smarter. So for that, I am appreciative. But when it comes to social platforms like Instagram and Facebook, I feel like I lose brain cells if i spend too much time watching useless entertainment. My mom used to always tell my as a child that if I watched too many cartoons that I would become a “Jellyhead”. So I think that is why I am always so hard on myself when I use technology for social media purposes. As a whole, social media is just apart of our lives. People actually strive to become so called influencers now. Being self absorbed is sadly part of somes peoples ideals and culture. When I first started using social media, I had no problem posting photos about what I was doing and who I was with. But as I have grown older, I have just started caring less about what I divulge to other people. As said before, I try and live in the moment instead of sharing it with the people who follow me. People who are really into social media, in my opinion, really like attention haha. Even though there is nothing wrong with that, I believe the biggest problem with social media is that it makes people too self absorbed about their own lives. Now a days, I might post a photo on instagram once every year. But it will just be of a family event or showing my sister graduated high school. Becoming too self absorbed in social media is something I am extremely wary about. Most of my family is the same way as me when it comes to social media. We have it, we check it, but we do not really share stuff about our lives. At the end of the day, my lack of presence on social media only helps me out. If my employer were to google me, I would be just fine. Overall, I will always strive to lower my usage of technology and social media. One day when I’m old and retired, I hope I will only have to use technology to send a text or make a call. Is that a realistic goal for the future? Likely not. But I can just hope. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BLOG POST 4

BLOG POST #2